Thursday, January 13, 2011

Introduction

So I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while. And in fact, a bunch of my friends have wanted me to blog for forever. But I've always felt like all the blogs I've enjoyed reading have had particular focuses (focii?). Add to that, all the blogs I love most have similar writing styles. Knowledgeable but snarky. As someone who hasn't really written anything but emails in the past four years, it seemed daunting. How do I make my posts interesting? How do I create and keep an audience? Do I really want an audience or is this just more of a personal thing?

 I have no clue how to answer any of those questions, so I'm gonna wing it. There are a few things I know I want to communicate here. I'll describe exactly how I came up with the title in another post, but here are the things I plan to/may talk about unless I chicken out.     

1. Grandma's Alzheimer's and being a caretaker- I tell these what I think are ridiculous stories about taking care of someone with Alzheimer's. I always been a "you have to either laugh or cry" kinda person. So I see the comedy in a lot of seemingly sad/tragic stories i tell. But i also know they bring people down, so I try to spare them if I can. The more I think about it, the more I want some kinda record of what I've seen/experienced. Obviously the name of the blog is inspired by this.

2. I've been "job hunting"/unemployed for two years now. I will be the first to admit that I've put in some lackluster effort in the past. But no one appreciates being broke more than someone who has already been there. So I'll talk about this somewhat too.

3. Dating. Grr, I've been doing this lacklusterly (yup that's a made up word, I know spell check. Thanks though) for 18 years. I mean, there are times when the dating life of me and my friends seem like the pilot for a really poor but popular UPN show. (And yes, I know that the UPN is gone, but heaven knows that category and description still resonates clearly)

4. Random doo-gooder things. Which is a terrible way to phrase that, but whatever. I care about the world and its people. And if I'm going to be talking in a super public never to disappear format ( hello random government forces, the robots who run Google and Mark Zuckerberg) then I better make sure I try and get people to heal the world. Man in the Mirror is more than a song.

5. Whatever else strikes my fancy. I admit that I'm a rather random person with interests varying from college sports and 80's cartoons to romance novels and autobiographies. And this is my blog gosh darn it. So I'll write about what I want.

Let's see how this all goes.

3 comments:

  1. I think your blog merits a wide audience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find you knowledgeable and plenty snarky. You seem like a perfect blog writer to me ;)

    ReplyDelete