Monday, March 21, 2011

I love you March Madness



Every year, January and February come and go and I eventually become annoyed with them both. The cold gets annoying. All the snow stops being pretty and starts being hour long inconveniences and my car becomes that weird snow gray dingy color that it seems pointless to clean until the sun comes out and decides to stay. But there is one saving grace. If I can make it through the tundra that is January and the disappointment that is February, I can get my big reward. And that is March Madness.

If March Madness was a man, I would marry him. I might even be his side-piece. You know, the girl who knows she's not the main squeeze but will still drop everything she can to run to him. That is how strong my feelings are for the Big Dance. Now, I imagine, not everyone is as big a college bball fan as I am. To explain it simply, March Madness is the culmination of the NCAA basketball season. The top 68 teams in the country, based on conference tournament championships, regular conference championships and strength of schedule/wins, are invited to a sudden death tournament. Everyone is ranked, and everyone speculates on who will win. You guess the upsets, the cinderellas, the first top seeds to fall.

And THEN you actually watch the tournament. 32 games in two days. Followed by 16 more games for two more days. And you have the nail biting buzzer beaters. And the ridiculous commentary (oh, please bring Charles Barkley back every year). And the heartbreak, and the OMG moments. And you exclaim and argue and watch everything in slow mo and do it again with all your friends. And then there are the bars and the beers and the nachos, and OMG fried food overload. And even after all of that, THERE ARE TWO MORE WEEKS!!!! YES!!!!! UUUUUUHHHHHHHH. March Madness, if I could can you, no one would need crack.

And yet there are still people out there who don't get it or don't care. To those people I say....

You're terrorists without souls.

Now sit in a corner and figure it out and come join the fun. I'll be at the bar.

Love,
Me

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those people without a soul apparently; I mean I do get it but from a distance. In fact, this year I actually submitted a bracket (well CBS did it for me...). I never found out what happened.

    ReplyDelete