Friday, February 15, 2013

And I'm back

So I'm Catholic and for Lent every year I give up things as well as try to do something that make improves/adds on to my spiritual life. What can I say, I went to Church one day and the homily made me feel a little guilty to try to explain how giving up cheese was really helping my soul. So this year, on top of giving up things (going pescaterian, plus nixing pizza and soda) I am also trying to spend 30 minutes each day either at the gym or writing. Clearly, the gym didn't happen today. Which means, you're welcome world, I'm back.

So now, where have I been? Nowhere. I work, I get busy, I get home, I watch primetime tv and go to sleep.  Plus to be honest, there are some moments when its hard for me to settle myself down to really talk (write) stuff out. Although I love writing. And, completely narcissisitically (that's not a word), I love reading my previous writings. It's like revisiting a former version of myself. I always feel nostalgic, like I've run into an old very dear, and slightly naive friend.

In fact, the other day I found some old poetry from when I was in college and high school. I forgot how intensely I've always felt about things. And also, I wish I could revisit a time when ANY man inspired me to write poetry. Rethinking who those "inspirational" men were, I definetely gave them FAR more credit than they deserved. I wont be sharing those little ditties here, because I love arrogant men and I refuse to help feed their egos more on the off chance they discover my little blog. So the mystery will remain.

Now, after that tangent, back to where I've been, or more like updates on where I am now. I have now been working at the same place for going on two years. I still feel intensely satisfied working with the people the people that I do and inspired by the help we provide. I've drank the kool-aid.

I'm still single (shocker). And I'm still a caregiver. The role has grown... difficult and I think this year will mark a large one of change. A lot of my stories will still contain the good, bad and the ugly of taking care of someone with Alzheimer's. I'll keep up the humorous stories, because that's who I am and that's how I write, but I'll also share some of the sadder moments, the realizations that things are changing, and usually not for the good. I'll also probably do my fair share of whining about the system (because now I know all about the system, grr). But hopefully, most of all, this will be a place for me to start expressing and sharing things again.

At the end of the day, I think there are a million ways to make an impact. I think of this blog as one of the ways I can make mine. And if I'm really lucky, and the internet really does remember everything, not only will I be able to revisit that Dulciña of the past sometime in my future (40 year old Me is gonna laugh her ass of at 30 year old me), maybe some of my loved ones can come back and visit her too (I'm looking at you niece and nephews). This Lenten period, especially, should be a fun ride as I try to tell the stories of the past couple of years that I've kept to myself (like the time we lost Grandma in Jamaica (the funny story) and the time we lost Grandma next door (not so funny)). As always, feel free to comment. I enjoy them, and please have some patience as I get back into my writing groove. This can be fun. And don't be mad if I don't write. It means I made my ass get to the gym. Trust me, that's a win for us all.     

No comments:

Post a Comment